Talking Hedy

Thursday, June 14, 2007

To be or not to be...

South Africa. I can hardly believe im here either... to be honest I feel like im on candid camera. Any minute a camera crew is going to jump out and be like... JUST KIDDING! City girl gone country. Yikes!
I arrived exactly a week ago and was denied entry into the country. My passport is full... the pages I thought were empty are actually NOT valid and cannot be used for stamping. They told me I would have to sleep in the airport until Sunday (it was thursday when i arrived) until the next flight back to Argentina or the USA flew out. Anyways, I played ignorant, which I sort of was, and put a sweet smile on my face. After speaking to the police and airport workers they told me they would let me in and that i was a VERY lucky girl. Well, im safe and sound now but i must say, that was quite a scare. Upon my arrival at the airport I met Ian, another person hired to come work on the vineyard. He is 46 and recently got divorced after a 18 year marriage (to a woman) and decided to come to terms that he was batting for the other team, if you know what i mean. So we have been partners in crime this past week just figuring out our place on the estate. We will be working together on a daily, hourly, minutely and secondly basis. One of our big jobs here is to get the place ready for August, when a TV show will be filming here for a month. Im sure you all heard of or watched Americas Next Top MOdel in the USA, well, they have the same sort of show here but this one will be competing for a Revlon contract instead of Covergirl. There are 16 models and 22 crew members. The girls will be basically thrown here and will have to fend for themselves in the most basic of living conditions... more details to come but i can tell you now its going to be quite hysterical. Spent the weekend in Joburg and was treated like a queen... hung out with a few 'queens' too in one of the most amazing houses i have ever seen... it was even surrounded by a moat filled with water. Watched my first Rugby game(thats the big sport here)... Go South Africa!
Now im back on the vineyard and YES i am drinking lots of delicious wine... people are friendly and have been welcoming to me (although nobody really knew i was coming... bad managing system... everyone is pretty much left in the dark about everything- Ian and I are going to try to change that). OH, everyone speaks Afrikaans as their first language... yikes.
Anyways, I will try to update as often as possible but being that they are using this ancient and incredibly slow dial up, i wont be as connected as id like to be. Can the city girl survive 3 months on a farm with no wireless connection? Shakespeare, that is the REAL question.

4 Comments:

  • At 6:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh my adventurous, lovely niece! What a great blog about South Africa! Wow. You are a beautiful writer. I can't wait fo the next chapter. Much love to the B-Day girl from me and Ms. Esti!

     
  • At 4:55 AM, Blogger Lynne said…

    AFRICA! I still can't believe; lions and tigers oh my! Keep the updates coming.
    Enjoy life on the farm, my city girl.
    xoxo

     
  • At 11:12 PM, Blogger Eleanor said…

    amiga! good thing you weren't sent back to argentina!!!

    hope you're having fun :)

    xo
    e:)

     
  • At 8:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Recién hoy, 7 de julio entro a leer tu blog! Me alegra mucho de todo lo que estás viviendo!!! TQM. Aletita

     

Post a Comment

<< Home