Talking Hedy

Thursday, March 30, 2006

Meow

7:55pm on a Thursday evening is very strange for me here in buenos aires. I finished class at 6, went for a beer with some class buddies and now have at least 3 hours until I go out to meet friends. At home I would probably eating dinner at this hour but here, if I eat dinner now, I wouldnt be going out until 1 or later! SO, I'll blog a bit.
I walked from my apartment to class today... a good 2 hour walk. Yeah, i know... I had nothing else to do. My observations from before become more and more true as time goes on. Walking the streets of Buenos Aires is just a huge game of chicken... literally... NOBODY moves out of your way. I'm getting more used to it and am slowly becoming the person who doesnt move out of other pedestrians' ways.
Some new observations:
As a female, walking on the street, the ogling and the cat calling is out of hand... completamente afuera de control! I'm not being egotistical... these men would making kissing noises at a anything with a pair of anything. You can be dressed in rags and you'd still hear it. You either have to ignore it or never leave your apartment.
What i find most interesting is that the police men on the street basically arent any different. Although they dont whistle or make kissy noises, you can feel their eyes on you as you walk by. I find that in NYC policemen are trained not to stare at women... i could be wrong.
Either way, cat calling sucks. i think it should be made illegal but for some reason I highly doubt the law will begin in Argentina.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home